Cats vs Scents
No secret to anyone that cats have an excellent sense of smell. I bet you laughed more than once with your cat running away from the orange smell or toothpaste, am I right? And that’s not weird. Cats have a sense of smell 14 times sharper than humans, but much worse than dogs. Their nose has 70 million olfactory cells to help them choose their food, find a partner, protect against enemies, orientate themselves in their surroundings including finding their own marked area. So the cat world – is a world of smells.
Let’s Make a TOP of the Scents That Cats Can’t Stand the Most
- Dirty tray. For cats, it is particularly offensive when the tray remains dirty for a long time. And who can blame them for that! So be careful, if the cat’s tray is dirty, they can do it in another place like a bad or your favorite flower pot.
- Eucalyptus, rosemary, and lavender. Some people who don’t want cats visiting their gardens deliberately grow these plants on their own land as a non-toxic means of repelling cats.
- Grapefruit, lemon, orange. Many of us love the bright and juicy scents of citrus fruits. Besides, lemon is often used to absorb unpleasant odors in the fridge. But for cats, it’s a very pungent smell which they hate. You can check when you clean your favorite grapefruit for a snack.
- Pepper. Cats also don’t like the smell of spices. For their noses these smells are toxic. So if you don’t want your cat to shy away from you, avoid all kinds of peppers, mustard, curry, paprika, etc.
- Sprays, perfume, nail polish, and toothpaste are also toxic to cats. Most of them contain chemical dangerous substances and can hurt a pet’s health and cause a nose running.
- Onions and garlic. The smell of these guys is bad for some people, not just cats. Many animals refuse to try the household food in which onions/ garlic (especially fresh ones) have been added.
- Alcohol. Especially hard drinks (vodka, cognac, port wine). After all, they are the ones who emit too strong a smell that is not only disliked by cats, but also by non-drinking people.
And in conclusion, your pet will not rub softly against you if you smoke, so you have a good opportunity to quit now!
- If you would be a cat you would say Meow* (happy sound)
- If you would be a cat you would say HRR* (angry sound)