Why does my cat stare at me?
There is no definite answer to this behavior. After all, it is not always possible to understand a person’s stare unambiguously, right? However, one of the options will explain exactly why your cat is staring at you.
- Your cat needs you to pour food into his bowl or add fresh water.
- Your cat likes watching you.
- Sometimes this means your cat is not feeling well and you should see your veterinarian.
- Do not panic but your cat may be asleep. Yes, sometimes cats can sleep with slightly open eyes.
- This is how the cat’s love for you is manifested. It’s so cute, isn’t it?
What does it mean when a cat licks me?
You often ask yourself this question, don’t you? Let’s look at the possible reasons for this behavior of your cat.
- In this way, the cat shows that you are dear to him and shows concern.
- Your cat is trying to groom you.
- By licking you, your cat shows other animals that you are theirs. Agree that this way of marking you is more pleasant than a bite or a spray.
- If you’ve eaten something tasty, like sausage, the smell may attract your cat and want to try it. Therefore, it licks you.
- Your cat wants your attention, and licking you is a surefire way to attract you.
- Licking helps your cat deal with stress.
How to train a cat?
Cat training is possible if you take advantage of our training tips.
- Keep your workouts short. Try to match your cat’s mood. After all, when a cat is interested in the process, it can learn something.
- Don’t train two actions at a time. Better teach your cat one thing, like not biting, and then move on to the next.
- Reward your cat for a job well done. This will serve as an incentive during training.
- Eliminate punishments for bad behavior. If your cat is behaving badly, try to distract him and show with your behavior that you are unhappy with him.
- Involve family members in the training process.
How to litter train a cat?
To train a cat to the litter box is not a difficult and not as lengthy process as it might seem at first.
- As soon as the cat is brought into the house for the first time, immediately put it in the litter, and do not change its location.
- If you notice that your cat needs to relieve itself, put it in the litter box. It should also be done immediately after a meal.
- Reward your cat if you spot it using the litter box on its own.
- Do not punish your cat if it does not use the litter box. It will not give a positive result and will not speed up training.
What does it mean when a cat purrs?
Many people feel calm when their cat purrs, but what does that mean for your cat? Let’s take a look at the main reasons.
- Your cat wants something, like food. Thus, it tries to remind you.
- Your cat shows that it is happy and doing well.
- Perhaps your cat is worried about something and by purring, it calms itself.
- If your cat lies on you or is very close and purrs, then in this way it wants to show love for you.
By the way, research from the Stroke Center at the University of Minnesota has shown that purring cats benefit humans too!
How much should I feed my cat?
There is no universal answer to this question. To answer, you need to know the age, breed, and even weight of your cat. However, let’s focus on one of the most important criteria that will help you understand the cat’s daily rate. It’s about the weight of your pet.
- The cat weighs 2-3 kg, which means its daily norm is 30-40 g.
- The cat weighs 4-5 kg, which means its daily norm is 45-65 g.
- The cat weighs 6-8 kg, which means its daily norm is 65-95 g.
You should not overfeed your cat, if it asks for more food, then you may need to change it for a more nutritious one.
What is the best cat food?
It doesn’t matter if you choose dry, wet, raw, or freshly prepared food for your cat. The main thing is that this food meets the needs of your cat and is appropriate for its age, breed, and medical criteria. It is best to consult a veterinarian. Choose premium foods that are rich in vitamins. We, in turn, would like to recommend the three best manufacturers of cat’s food: Royal Canin, Josera, and Purina.
How long can a cat go without food?
If your cat is deprived of food and water, then it will live no more than 2, a maximum of 3 days. However, if the cat is left without food, but has enough drinking water, then this period can be extended to 4 days.
How to make cat food?
To feed your cat properly, the food you prepare must contain protein from meat or fish, amino and fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and water. We would like to offer you a simple recipe for eating an adult cat.
- Prepare 83 grams of chicken or salmon meat, 50 grams of cooked rice or barley, 50 grams of cooked skinless potatoes, 2-3 grams of a mixture of vitamins and minerals. Buy the last ingredient at the pet store only after the recommendation of your veterinarian.
- Mix all the ingredients and your cat’s food is ready.
Why is my cat always hungry?
The simple reason may be the wrong food. Try changing the food, but it should contain protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates. Another simple reason might be boredom, meaning your cat simply has nothing to do. Try to play with him more often or let him out if possible. If these are not the reasons for your cat’s hunger, then immediately contact your veterinarian. After all, this may be one of the reasons listed below:
By the way, older cats may also have an increased appetite.
Health & Grooming
How often should I take a cat to the vet?
A healthy adult cat should visit the veterinarian for routine check-ups at least once a year. However, if we are talking about a kitten, then you will need to visit the veterinarian 5-6 times in the first year. The frequency of visits and their number will be prescribed by the veterinarian.
How to give a cat a pill?
If your veterinarian hasn’t shown you how to safely give a pill to your cat, then our little guide will be extremely helpful.
- Place the cat on a flat and stable surface, such as a table.
- Stand on the side and lift the cat’s head slightly.
- Open the cat’s lower jaw with one hand and gently place the tablet as far as possible on the tongue with the other hand.
- Close your cat’s mouth, rub its throat for a few seconds and trust the head to its normal position.
- Check if your cat has swallowed the pill, if not, continue rubbing gently on the throat.
- After the procedure, please the cat with something tasty.
How to trim cat nails?
You will need a pair of pet nail trimmers and your confidence and calmness for this procedure. Make sure your cat is calm and in a good mood. Then press down on the pad of the paw so that the nails appear. And if your cat continues to behave calmly you can proceed with the trimming. You can take breaks if you notice that your cat is getting nervous. Treat your cat to something tasty to make the process of trimming nails a pleasant memory.
How to tell if my cat is sick?
If the cat is sick, then you can notice this knowing the symptoms.
- Your cat is behaving differently. For example, in the middle of the day, a cat always plays with its favorite toy, but now sleeps all the time.
- Your cat does not finish eating or, on the contrary, asks for more food.
- Your cat has trouble with defecating.
- Vomiting or coughing is an obvious sign of illness.
- Check your cat’s gums. In a healthy cat, they are dark pink.
- Take your cat’s temperature with a rectal thermometer. The normal temperature for a cat is 100-103 degrees.
If your cat has any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian.
How much should my cat weigh?
Your cat’s weight depends on age and breed. For example, the weight of a 2-month-old kitten is about 1.3 kg, and at 6 months the kitten will already weigh 3 kg. By the age of one year, the weight will already be equal to the average indicator of the normal weight of a healthy adult cat, 4-5 kg. However, there are some peculiarities of certain breeds. For example, Siamese cats can weigh no more than 2.5 kg, and the Maine Coon is about 11 kg. For more info read here.
Heat & Pregnancy
How long is a cat in heat?
The answer to this question depends on how long each of the stages of the heat lasted. However, on average, veterinarians believe that a cat in heat can be no more than 5-20 days.
How long is a cat pregnant?
If during estrus your female cat managed to mate with a male cat and she became pregnant. On average, a cat’s pregnancy lasts 63-65 days.
How many kittens can a cat have?
The number of kittens depends on your cat’s breed. Small breeds can have about 4-5 kittens, and when it comes to large breeds, the figure ranges from 4 to 12 kittens.
How to tell if my cat is pregnant?
To tell if your cat is pregnant will help the symptoms described below.
- Your cat began to eat more, for example, 1.5 times than usual.
- Your cat’s nipples are dark pink and swollen.
- As with women, your cat may vomit early in pregnancy.
- Weight gain is a pretty obvious pregnancy symptom.
- Your cat has become more affectionate than usual, as its hormones are rearranged.
- You have begun to notice that your cat is looking for a quiet and secluded place when it used to sleep with you with pleasure.
How to tell if a cat is a boy or a girl?
To find out a boy or a girl, you need to look at the cat’s genitals. The girl’s genitals are like an inverted exclamation mark, and boys have a hole in the form of dots and the testicles in the middle.
When to spay a cat?
You can neuter your cat at any time, however, we recommend that you do it when the cat is 4-5 months old. Don’t worry if you think it’s too early. After all, sterilization is allowed from the 8 weeks of age of the kitten.
How to spay a cat?
Never try to spay your cat at home. Sterilization is an operation that must be performed by a veterinarian under general anesthesia. The veterinarian will make an incision in the abdomen and remove the reproductive organs, then close the incision with stitches that will dissolve over time.
Why should I spay my cat?
Whether or not to spay your cat is entirely up to you. However, if you do not want the cat to have kittens, then sterilization is the best solution. While it hasn’t been proven that a cat is physically painful in heat, it is a strong emotional shock for a pet. Male cats will also suffer if they feel that there is a female cat in heat around them. For more information about pros and cons read our article.
How long to isolate a cat after a spay?
A cat needs 1-2 days to recover from surgery. Most often, male cats recover faster than females. You may need to extend your cat’s isolation period if complications arise after surgery.