Why does my cat stare at me?
There is no definite answer to this behavior. After all, it is not always possible to understand a person’s stare unambiguously, right? However, one of the options will explain exactly why your cat is staring at you.
- Your cat needs you to pour food into his bowl or add fresh water.
- Your cat likes watching you.
- Sometimes this means your cat is not feeling well and you should see your veterinarian.
- Do not panic but your cat may be asleep. Yes, sometimes cats can sleep with slightly open eyes.
- This is how the cat’s love for you is manifested. It’s so cute, isn’t it?
What does it mean when a cat licks me?
You often ask yourself this question, don’t you? Let’s look at the possible reasons for this behavior of your cat.
- In this way, the cat shows that you are dear to him and shows concern.
- Your cat is trying to groom you.
- By licking you, your cat shows other animals that you are theirs. Agree that this way of marking you is more pleasant than a bite or a spray.
- If you’ve eaten something tasty, like sausage, the smell may attract your cat and want to try it. Therefore, it licks you.
- Your cat wants your attention, and licking you is a surefire way to attract you.
- Licking helps your cat deal with stress.
How to train a cat?
Cat training is possible if you take advantage of our training tips.
- Keep your workouts short. Try to match your cat’s mood. After all, when a cat is interested in the process, it can learn something.
- Don’t train two actions at a time. Better teach your cat one thing, like not biting, and then move on to the next.
- Reward your cat for a job well done. This will serve as an incentive during training.
- Eliminate punishments for bad behavior. If your cat is behaving badly, try to distract him and show with your behavior that you are unhappy with him.
- Involve family members in the training process.
How to litter train a cat?
To train a cat to the litter box is not a difficult and not as lengthy process as it might seem at first.
- As soon as the cat is brought into the house for the first time, immediately put it in the litter, and do not change its location.
- If you notice that your cat needs to relieve itself, put it in the litter box. It should also be done immediately after a meal.
- Reward your cat if you spot it using the litter box on its own.
- Do not punish your cat if it does not use the litter box. It will not give a positive result and will not speed up training.
What does it mean when a cat purrs?
Many people feel calm when their cat purrs, but what does that mean for your cat? Let’s take a look at the main reasons.
- Your cat wants something, like food. Thus, it tries to remind you.
- Your cat shows that it is happy and doing well.
- Perhaps your cat is worried about something and by purring, it calms itself.
- If your cat lies on you or is very close and purrs, then in this way it wants to show love for you.
By the way, research from the Stroke Center at the University of Minnesota has shown that purring cats benefit humans too!
Why does my cat meow so much?
Cat behavior experts have concluded that getting attention is the most common reason. Most likely your cat needs something from you. For example, food, going outside, reporting that the litter is dirty, etc. A more serious cause could be a medical problem. For example, your cat is in pain, aggression, anxiety, etc.
Why does my cat sleep on me?
There is no universal reason, and only after observing your cat, you will understand which of the following is true:
- It is an indicator of the trust between you and your pet, as well as additional protection while it sleeps. In the process of rest, the pet is most vulnerable, but with you, it is calmer.
- Some parts of your body are warmer than others, and cats love warmth. Therefore, your cat may sleep on you, especially during the cold season.
- Your cat may like the sound of your heartbeat and the rhythm of your breathing as you sleep. Therefore, it loves to sleep on you and with you.
How do I stop my cat from peeing in the house?
If your cat continues to pee in the house, then try the methods below:
- Check the cleanliness of the sand in the litter, it may need to be changed more often.
- Try changing the type of filler.
- Consult your veterinarian to rule out urine problems.
- Change the location of the litter box.
- If you have a large home, add multiple trays.
- Start training your cat to the litter again.
- If your cat is marking territory, try to make him/her feel safe.
- Remove the smell in the house that the cat did not pee there again.
How to stop a cat from biting?
Most often, a cat bites due to errors in upbringing.
- Don’t let the animal play with the person’s hands and feet. Bites and scratches during the game are entirely the owner’s fault. To stop inappropriate behavior, you can shout loudly, clap your hands.
- Be careful with punishments. An owner should not show aggression towards an animal.
- A common mistake is petting the owner before some unpleasant procedure, for example, bathing or vaccination.
Read about it in more detail here.
How to make a cat like me?
There are many ways. However, we will list the most popular ones:
- Create a safe atmosphere at home so that your cat feels safe.
- Play with your cat more often.
- Respect your pet’s personal boundaries. If it doesn’t want to be stroked, then it’s better not.
- Do not yell at the cat for pranks, but rather be calm, etc.
How does a cat purr?
According to recent studies, electrical impulses are generated in the cerebral cortex that travels to the muscles located near the vocal cords and causes them to contract. The “purr apparatus” is located in cats between the base of the skull and the base of the tongue and is a thinly connected hyoid bone. The contraction of the muscles near the vocal cords causes them to vibrate. The cat makes a purring sound through its mouth and nose, and the vibration spreads throughout its body.
Why is my cat crying?
Lacrimal fluid is present in cats, and it is needed to moisten the cornea of the eye and prevent it from drying out. However, it can sometimes be a sign of a problem:
- Eye irritation or foreign bodies that must be removed.
- Conjunctivitis. A purulent discharge appears in the eyes of the cat, similar to ordinary dirt, from time to time accumulating in the corners of the eyes, but more liquid.
- Allergy. Most often, it occurs on chemicals in the composition of various deodorants, air fresheners, and household chemicals.
Why does my cat follow me everywhere?
If your cat follows you from room to room just by looking at you without meowing, you may be giving the cat curiosity. Indeed, if your cat walks a little, it means that he has no activity on the street, you can be for him the most interesting subject of observation, the most interesting subject. And if a cat walks after you and meows, then most likely it asks for attention or needs something (food, water, play).
Why does my cat bite me when I pet him?
These are usually the two most common reasons.
- Your cat doesn’t trust you yet.
- Your pet has a dominant character and thus shows it.
Both cases can be changed with patience.
Why doesn't my cat purr?
Some cats don’t feel the need to purr. For example, if a kitten was pulled away from its mother too early, it may not develop a purr. Cats have different means of communication, and each cat chooses how to express itself. However, do not worry, this is not considered some kind of pathology or disadvantage.
How much should I feed my cat?
There is no universal answer to this question. To answer, you need to know the age, breed, and even weight of your cat. However, let’s focus on one of the most important criteria that will help you understand the cat’s daily rate. It’s about the weight of your pet.
- The cat weighs 2-3 kg, which means its daily norm is 30-40 g.
- The cat weighs 4-5 kg, which means its daily norm is 45-65 g.
- The cat weighs 6-8 kg, which means its daily norm is 65-95 g.
You should not overfeed your cat, if it asks for more food, then you may need to change it for a more nutritious one.
What is the best cat food?
It doesn’t matter if you choose dry, wet, raw, or freshly prepared food for your cat. The main thing is that this food meets the needs of your cat and is appropriate for its age, breed, and medical criteria. It is best to consult a veterinarian. Choose premium foods that are rich in vitamins. We, in turn, would like to recommend the three best manufacturers of cat’s food: Royal Canin, Josera, and Purina.
How long can a cat go without food?
If your cat is deprived of food and water, then it will live no more than 2, a maximum of 3 days. However, if the cat is left without food, but has enough drinking water, then this period can be extended to 4 days.
How to make cat food?
To feed your cat properly, the food you prepare must contain protein from meat or fish, amino and fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and water. We would like to offer you a simple recipe for eating an adult cat.
- Prepare 83 grams of chicken or salmon meat, 50 grams of cooked rice or barley, 50 grams of cooked skinless potatoes, 2-3 grams of a mixture of vitamins and minerals. Buy the last ingredient at the pet store only after the recommendation of your veterinarian.
- Mix all the ingredients and your cat’s food is ready.
Why is my cat always hungry?
The simple reason may be the wrong food. Try changing the food, but it should contain protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates. Another simple reason might be boredom, meaning your cat simply has nothing to do. Try to play with him more often or let him out if possible. If these are not the reasons for your cat’s hunger, then immediately contact your veterinarian. After all, this may be one of the reasons listed below:
By the way, older cats may also have an increased appetite.
How often should I feed a cat?
The frequency of feeding and portions depends on the weight and age of your cat. Up to 1 year old, kittens eat 3-4 times a day. And adult cats can eat 1-2 times a day. Nutrition for adult cats is more balanced and keeps the feeling of fullness longer. It is better to ask your veterinarian for help in calculating the cat’s daily allowance correctly.
How to make a cat lose weight?
If your cat has problems with being overweight, you need to completely change his daily diet. This applies not only to food and portions but also to the addition of physical activity. Remember that before exercising, consult with your veterinarian, it may be contraindicated for your cat. If you want to study this issue in more detail read here.
Fleas & Bath
How to give a cat a bath?
Use only special shampoos for cats.
- Fill the bath with warm water to hide the cat by half. Place a rubber mat on the bottom. If the cat feels securely supported, it will not panic. You can wash your cat in the sink.
- Do not use a strong pressure of water, it is better to do without a shower and a jet from the tap. You can slowly water the cat with water from a ladle or just with your hands.
- Apply shampoo and massage into the coat. Also, rinse off the foam gently and thoroughly.
- Make sure that water and foam do not get into the ears and eyes.
- Dry the cat gently with a towel.
- Take it to a warm, draft-free place.
Also, be sure to read helpful tips.
How to remove a tick from a cat?
To do this, you will need gloves, a small jar of isopropyl alcohol, tweezers, and an antibiotic ointment.
- Calm the cat and distract it to sit upright.
- Separate the fur and make sure it’s a mite.
- Take the tick with tweezers as close to the cat’s skin as possible. However, the squeezing is not strong. You need to apply light pressure to remove the tick.
- Dip the tick in a container of alcohol.
- And apply the ointment to the bite site.
How to get rid of fleas on a cat?
The most popular methods: drops, collars, shampoos. They are easy to use and instructions are on the packaging. However, if you want to know more about it, read here.
How often should I bathe a cat?
The frequency of bathing depends on many factors. If your cat often goes outside, then bathing will be as it gets dirty. However, the paws will sometimes need to be washed frequently. And if your cat has parasites, then bathing is one of the ways to get rid of them.
How to tell if my cat has fleas?
Finding fleas in a cat can be quite difficult. The first noticeable symptom is scratching. You can check your cat regularly by brushing it gently with a flea comb and brushing the fur onto a damp piece of white cloth. If dark specks of flea feces appear and turn reddish-brown, the cat has fleas. In many cases, it is very difficult to tell if a cat has fleas, as they bite deeply into your pet’s skin and quickly hide when separating the fur, making them difficult to find.
Health & Grooming
How often should I take a cat to the vet?
A healthy adult cat should visit the veterinarian for routine check-ups at least once a year. However, if we are talking about a kitten, then you will need to visit the veterinarian 5-6 times in the first year. The frequency of visits and their number will be prescribed by the veterinarian.
How to give a cat a pill?
If your veterinarian hasn’t shown you how to safely give a pill to your cat, then our little guide will be extremely helpful.
- Place the cat on a flat and stable surface, such as a table.
- Stand on the side and lift the cat’s head slightly.
- Open the cat’s lower jaw with one hand and gently place the tablet as far as possible on the tongue with the other hand.
- Close your cat’s mouth, rub its throat for a few seconds and trust the head to its normal position.
- Check if your cat has swallowed the pill, if not, continue rubbing gently on the throat.
- After the procedure, please the cat with something tasty.
How to trim cat nails?
You will need a pair of pet nail trimmers and your confidence and calmness for this procedure. Make sure your cat is calm and in a good mood. Then press down on the pad of the paw so that the nails appear. And if your cat continues to behave calmly you can proceed with the trimming. You can take breaks if you notice that your cat is getting nervous. Treat your cat to something tasty to make the process of trimming nails a pleasant memory.
How to tell if my cat is sick?
If the cat is sick, then you can notice this knowing the symptoms.
- Your cat is behaving differently. For example, in the middle of the day, a cat always plays with its favorite toy, but now sleeps all the time.
- Your cat does not finish eating or, on the contrary, asks for more food.
- Your cat has trouble with defecating.
- Vomiting or coughing is an obvious sign of illness.
- Check your cat’s gums. In a healthy cat, they are dark pink.
- Take your cat’s temperature with a rectal thermometer. The normal temperature for a cat is 100-103 degrees.
If your cat has any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian.
How much should my cat weigh?
Your cat’s weight depends on age and breed. For example, the weight of a 2-month-old kitten is about 1.3 kg, and at 6 months the kitten will already weigh 3 kg. By the age of one year, the weight will already be equal to the average indicator of the normal weight of a healthy adult cat, 4-5 kg. However, there are some peculiarities of certain breeds. For example, Siamese cats can weigh no more than 2.5 kg, and the Maine Coon is about 11 kg. For more info read here.
How to clean cat ears?
- Sit in a comfortable position and keep the cat on your lap.
- Grasp the tip of the earphone and gently pull it back.
- Fill the ear with a special solution.
- Massage the roots of the ears with your fingers wrapped in gauze for 5-10 seconds.
- Wrap your fingers with dry gauze and gently wipe any excess fluid from ear canal.
- Repeat with your cat’s other ear.
Read about other methods and find out more details here.
How often should a cat poop?
As usual, a cat can poop once or twice a day. If it happens more or less often, it is better to visit a veterinarian for consultation.
How often to change cat litter?
It depends on the type of filler. For example, sand is changed every day, and silica gel fillers every two-three weeks. Find out about other types here.
How to groom a cat?
To do this, you need a special brush that you can buy at a pet store. The type of brush will depend on the type of coat and breed. For example, for short-haired cats, a metal-toothed brush is used. It is better to try to untangle the knots with your fingers but by no means scissors. If you are not coping with it, then it is better to turn to a professional for grooming. Many cats enjoy this process. However, if your pet is not one of them, then try to distract the cat with something pleasant. During the molting period, more frequent care is needed.
Heat & Pregnancy
How long is a cat in heat?
The answer to this question depends on how long each of the stages of the heat lasted. However, on average, veterinarians believe that a cat in heat can be no more than 5-20 days.
How long is a cat pregnant?
If during estrus your female cat managed to mate with a male cat and she became pregnant. On average, a cat’s pregnancy lasts 63-65 days.
How many kittens can a cat have?
The number of kittens depends on your cat’s breed. Small breeds can have about 4-5 kittens, and when it comes to large breeds, the figure ranges from 4 to 12 kittens.
How to tell if my cat is pregnant?
To tell if your cat is pregnant will help the symptoms described below.
- Your cat began to eat more, for example, 1.5 times than usual.
- Your cat’s nipples are dark pink and swollen.
- As with women, your cat may vomit early in pregnancy.
- Weight gain is a pretty obvious pregnancy symptom.
- Your cat has become more affectionate than usual, as its hormones are rearranged.
- You have begun to notice that your cat is looking for a quiet and secluded place when it used to sleep with you with pleasure.
How to tell if a cat is a boy or a girl?
To find out a boy or a girl, you need to look at the cat’s genitals. The girl’s genitals are like an inverted exclamation mark, and boys have a hole in the form of dots and the testicles in the middle.
When to spay a cat?
You can neuter your cat at any time, however, we recommend that you do it when the cat is 4-5 months old. Don’t worry if you think it’s too early. After all, sterilization is allowed from the 8 weeks of age of the kitten.
How to spay a cat?
Never try to spay your cat at home. Sterilization is an operation that must be performed by a veterinarian under general anesthesia. The veterinarian will make an incision in the abdomen and remove the reproductive organs, then close the incision with stitches that will dissolve over time.
Why should I spay my cat?
Whether or not to spay your cat is entirely up to you. However, if you do not want the cat to have kittens, then sterilization is the best solution. While it hasn’t been proven that a cat is physically painful in heat, it is a strong emotional shock for a pet. Male cats will also suffer if they feel that there is a female cat in heat around them. For more information about pros and cons read our article.
How long to isolate a cat after a spay?
A cat needs 1-2 days to recover from surgery. Most often, male cats recover faster than females. You may need to extend your cat’s isolation period if complications arise after surgery.
How to hold a cat?
There are many ways to hold a cat. We will describe the simplest one. The most important thing is to support the cat’s torso. Place at least one hand under the pet’s chest so that the hand rests on its body, and not on the shoulder joints. Even if you hold the cat correctly, it can scratch you with its hind claws if it is nervous. To avoid this, orient the animal’s back perpendicular to your body.
How long does a cat live?
On average, street cats can live for about 7 years. And domestic cats are 2 times larger with proper care. If you want to know how to prolong a cat’s life, read here.
How old is my cat in human years?
The age of the cat will be indicated on the left, and the age in human years on the right:
- 1 month – 1 year;
- 3 months – 4 years:
- 6 months – 10 years;
- 12 months – 15 years;
- 18 months – 21 years;
- 2 years – 24 years;
- 4+ years – 28 years + 4 for each cat year;
- 11+ years – 60 years +4 for each cat year.
How to adopt a cat?
Just Google an Adoption Center or Local Shelter in the nearest area, come and choose a new friend. We ask you to be responsible and do your best to get in contact with a new pet.
How high can a cat jump?
This indicator depends on the height of the animal. On average, a cat can jump up to five times its height.
How fast can a cat run?
On average, a cat can reach a speed of about 49 km/h. This indicator is influenced by the weight and physique of the pet.
How to introduce a kitten to a cat?
Before you bring your new kitten home, take a clean blanket to the breeder, let the kitten smell remain on the thing. Thus, the cat will get used to the smell of the new family member in advance. When you have already brought the kitten, lock the cat in another room so that the new pet can explore the area on its own. After that, release the cat for their personal meeting. When you first meet animals, you can expect them to hiss and grumble, this is normal. It is best to arrange your first mealtime meeting. Gradually increase their pastime.
How to introduce a dog to a cat?
Place the animals opposite each other, but hold the dog. Then watch the behavior of both animals. If the cat hisses and does not raise its back, then do not worry. This is just a defensive reaction and cats very rarely attack first. If the dog ignores the cat, it should be praised and rewarded. If the dog is too focused on the cat and is not listening to your commands, you may be better off choosing a different strategy where the pets will be at a greater distance.
When does a kitten become a cat?
In the first 6 months of life, the kitten grows very quickly. Upon reaching 6 months, its growth slows down. At 12 months old, your inquisitive cat may still look like a kitten, and it will most likely continue to be mischievous. Nevertheless, kittens reach the size of an adult animal by 9-12 months. Also, by this period, the process of socialization must be completed.
How long can I leave a cat alone?
Veterinarians claim that your cat will be able to stay alone at home for about 24 hours. However, you need to leave enough food, water, and a clean litter box for it.
How to tell if my cat loves me?
Here are some signs that, under certain circumstances, may indicate that a cat lives you:
How to grow cat grass?
The advantage of grass for cats is that it can be grown all year round. When growing in a room, the soil should always be moist. It is also advised to cover the seed pot with foil and hide it in a warm and dark place until the first shoots. Then you need a lot of sunshine. Place the pots on a windowsill. If the spring frosts have already passed, then you can transplant the grass into the ground. And remember that over-watering can damage the roots. By the way, eating grass can be useful for a cat, read here.
How to call a cat?
Use the following tips before choosing a name for your cat:
- The name should be simple and short;
- Consider the cat’s temperament and background;
- It is popular to refer to your pet as the hero of your favorite book or movie character;
- The name should not be offensive and should be liked by all family members.