My Cat Is Stuck in a Tree: How Can I Help It and How Long Can a Cat Be Stuck There
Can a cat get stuck in a tree? Of course yes. Many owners face this problem. Cats love to climb high places and admire interesting views. Their curved claws can hold the bark well while climbing. So can cats climb down trees? This is a bit tricky because the claws are not designed to facilitate descent. Facing the fear of falling, your cat may be in a state of shock. For cats accustomed to roaming in the open air, this situation can be traumatic, but in the end, they would deal with it much easier. However, domestic cats with limited climbing experience can really be in trouble. We hope that our article will help you understand the reason for your pet’s actions, and you will read useful tips for getting a cat out of a tree.
Why Do Cats Get Stuck in Trees?
Cats can quickly climb a tree in a matter of seconds. However, it is much more difficult for them to go down. If the cat continues to crawl up the post, it can also descend. If the cat is already on the branches, then this cannot be done due to the anxiety that the animal is experiencing. Also, your cat may be frightened and forced to climb a tree, then the state of shock may be stronger. Fortunately, there are ways to help you. And when you are familiar with them, you do not panic “my cat is stuck in a tree, what can I do”?
Cat Stuck in a Tree: What to Do?
You can try to help your cat yourself or call for help. However, in any case, do not climb a tree on your own (without a ladder). Firstly, if a tree is capable of supporting a cat, it is not a fact that it can cope with several tens of pounds of you. Secondly, crawling up is much easier than going down. Don’t try to scare the cat away. When a tree is dangerous, where would the cat look for shelter? That’s right, on another tree. Check out the options for more details.
How to get a cat out of the tree with a portion of tasty food? Think carefully about which treats your pet loves most of all. Try to lure it with them. Place a bowl of food at the root of a tree and let it sit for a while. Perhaps your cat would be interested and go down to the smell of food. Make sure other animals stay away from the area, otherwise they may eat the food you have prepared for your pet. You can try spreading some food on the branches so that the cat would also move towards the bottom of the trunk.
The best way to get a cat out of a tree is to use a ladder. You can climb it and lift the cat from the tree. Be careful though, because the cat may scratch you. It is best to go up there with a bowl of food to lure the pet. Or maybe your cat would wash it off and go down the stairs on its own. If you are going to try this method, we recommend wearing thick gloves and long sleeves, because even the calmest cats can panic when you pick them up.
How to get a cat out of a tall tree without a ladder? A laser pointer can be a good choice. However, be careful not to get it in the cat’s eyes. Intermediately move the laser to where the cat should go, but first, get it interested in this game. Even if it doesn’t get your pet off the tree completely, even small progress is a success.
Give Some Time
Some cats only take a little time to figure out how to get out of the tree on their own. Shy cats may not like the attention of people trying to help them and prefer to stay in the tree until they feel safer. In this case, it is best to leave the delicious food at the foot of the tree and watch the cat from a distance. When they feel hungry and bored, they can get off on their own. How long can a cat be stuck in a tree? The cat can sit there for more than a week. Of course, we do not advise you to wait that long. It will be optimal to give the cat no more than 3-5 hours to make an independent decision.
Carrier for Cats
If your cat is stuck in a tree and hasn’t descended for 24 hours, it’s best to ask for help. Many cities have a local animal rescue inspector. However, if you do not, then try to seek help from the fire department. They can help you with this. However, this is an extreme case.
Cat Stuck in a Tree: Rescue It Immediately
- If the pet is very worried: constantly meows, rushes, trembles, etc.
- If the animal looks weak and tired. Usually, this means that the cat is emotionally exhausted, fear and nerves have worn out the animal, as a result, it would simply fall due to loss of strength.
- If an animal is at an altitude for more than a day, it can simply lose its strength at any time and fall.
- If a cat or a cat is young, they simply do not have the skills of descent, then they can only be saved with someone’s help.
- On the street there is bad weather, rain, snow, frost, it is better to remove the animal as soon as possible.
- An animal can climb a tree with various accessories (leash, harness, etc), there is a risk of injury in the branches, possibly even strangulation.
- If the descent is dangerous, it climbed very high, power lines are located nearby, and so on.
- If you feel, the cat would not get off on its own.
How to Avoid Trees?
Cats love outdoor activities. However, it can sometimes be dangerous for them. If you want to prevent situations where your cat would not be able to get off the tree, then use our tips.
- Buy a cat tree. On it, the cat can safely climb up and down, as well as sharpen its claws.
- Provide a shelter for the cat to hide.
- Give your cat toys to keep it busy. Plus, physical activity is very beneficial.
- Install window sills so your cat can watch what is happening outside.
Feel free to ask for help. If you still have any questions, ask in the comments. Thanks and see you soon!
- If you would be a cat you would say Meow* (happy sound)
- If you would be a cat you would say HRR* (angry sound)