Khao Manee Cat Breed: What Are the Personal Traits and How to Properly Care for
Khao Manee cat (Khaomanee or Khao Plort) has a centuries-old pedigree and is considered elite. Previously, such cats could only have the members of the royal families of Thailand, but now everyone can become the owner of this fluffy miracle. How much is a Khao Manee? In most of the world, the price varies from 2,000 to 7,000 dollars, but in the homeland of this breed, people believe that the cat brings good luck, bliss, and healing to the owner, so the price can reach 10,000 dollars. What other features of this breed do you need to know before deciding to adopt or buy a cat? Read about it below!
Khao Manee Cat Breed Short Info
- Origin: Thailand;
- Height: 10-12 inches;
- Weight: 8-10 pounds;
- Coat: white;
- Temperament: outgoing, playful, intelligent, and active;
- Lifespan: 10-15 years.
History of the Khao Manee Cats
In ancient times, in the territory where Thailand is located now, there were different cats, some believed to bring good luck or were considered sacred. In past ages, different breeds were especially distinguished by the kings, but the Khao Manee had a privileged status at all times. Nowadays, it is possible to freely find a good breeder and buy it or even sell. In ancient times, breeders were engaged in improvement and targeted breeding of the breed, preserving all its distinctive features and characteristics. So, now breeders just need to follow the developed inherited principles. Surprisingly, until 1999, the breed was distributed only in Thailand. In 1999 Colleen Freymuth cattery started breeding these cats in the USA. Therefore, in the list of rare cat breeds, Khao Manee deserved its place. Despite many efforts, the status of the breed is “Miscellaneous” in CFA and “Advanced New Breed” in TICA.
Khao Manee: Characteristics
Just google “Khao Manee images”, and you would be pleasantly surprised by its beauty. The cats of this breed have a beautiful white color. Some Khao Manee kittens are born with a dark spot on their head, but this should disappear within a year after birth. Not only the color but also the variety in eye color is unique. Among the most popular colors are blue, yellow, brown, and green. The cat has a muscular and medium body, and large ears. The coat is dense, smooth, and almost without an undercoat.
Khao Manee: Personality
These are friendly and affectionate cats. They are moderately playful and active, but also need the owner’s attention. You would need to show your love and care to your pet every day because it doesn’t like to be alone. These cats are receptive to children and can make friends with other pets. So, they do not show aggression or negativity. To be honest, the same can be said for children – you would need to teach your child how to handle a cat properly. This breed is smart, but it is a very difficult task to teach some commands. Among other Khao Manee traits is curiosity. They like to explore everything that surrounds them. Therefore, think about joint walks on a leash or in a special backpack.
Khao Manee: Is It Health?
This breed is considered healthy. However, there are also some potential problems:
- The predisposition to partial or complete deafness.
- Dental disease. Therefore, it is important to keep an eye on your cat’s oral cavity and brush his teeth. Otherwise, gingivitis, periodontitis, and tooth loss can occur.
- If you choose the wrong diet and the cat lacks physical activity (games, walks on the street, etc.), then your cat may become obese. It can cause several other problems:
- heart diseases;
- the formation of stones in the bladder, etc.
If you monitor the health of your pet, then it would live a long and happy life for 10-15 years.
Khao Manee: Care
These cats are short-haired, and they need to be combed out once a week. Also, remember to brush your cat’s teeth regularly, at least 3 times a week, and clean its eyes and ears from dirt as needed. It needs bathing once every 2 months, but it is not worth bathing too often. The nails can be trimmed once every one or two weeks.
How to Know If a Cat Is Khao Manee?
In order to determine the breed of your pet, you need to carefully consider its appearance – ears, eyes, tail, and coat color. Khaomanee has large erect ears, and eyes can sometimes be of two different colors, short snow-white coat. Another feature of the Khao Manee cat is the tail. Some American breeds have curved tails. Research has not shown a harmful effect on a cat’s health. However, if one of the parents has a curved tail, then the kittens are likely to pass this trait.
Fun Facts about the Khao Manee Cat Breed
- You have probably heard the belief that rabbit feet bring good luck, haven’t you? The same is believed about Khao Manee.
- The popular but unofficial name is Diamond Eye.
- This breed is considered one of the most expensive in the world.
- Not all kittens are born snow-white. However, this is a rare genetic exception.
- There are illustrations of this breed in the Thai treatise on cats.
- Experts recommend this breed for those who have not had cats before.
- Playing for 30 minutes every day would help your cat lose weight.
The Khao Manee is an ancient breed with many excellent traits and an interesting appearance. If you want a representative of this breed, but this is a big expense for you, try to look for it in shelters. This way, you would be able to find a friend, and the shelter can take care of a new animal. Let’s help our furry friends find a family, they need our help!
- If you would be a cat you would say Meow* (happy sound)
- If you would be a cat you would say HRR* (angry sound)